Wicked Hot Chocolate (2002); Fans of HDAS

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 11 03:21:11 UTC 2005

WICKED HOT CHOCOLATE
I went to a chocolate class at Chocolat Moderne yesterday (Al Roker will show the same thing on the Food Network in about two weeks), and I stopped by Jacques Torres at Hudson Street and King Street today. I had a taste of his "wicked hot chocolate" (with chilis). He also makes a chocolate itself called "wicked fun."
The hot chocolate was--and this appears to be a hot chocolate theme nowadays--too thick for my taste. But not bad. The chocolates that I bought were good, but too darn expensive. The shop opened in Manhattan (there is a Brooklyn factory) in November 2004.
(GOOGLE)
Wicked Hot Chocolate - At WestPointMarket.com If plain old hot chocolate is too tame for you, try the Wicked Hot Chocolate from Jacques Torres, a spicy alternative with chile, allspice and cinnamon that ...
www.westpointmarket.com/store/ product/SF-15-004/WickedHotChocolate.aspx - 92k - Cached - Similar pages

Hot Chocolate.: Review: Jacques Torres Wicked Hot Chocolate ... Jacques Torres Wicked Hot Chocolate: Overall: ***1/2. The only reason that this didn't get a 4 star rating is that it was way too rich. ...
www.viren.org/hot-chocolate/ archives/2005/01
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Fan fund winner!
... i went there. i almost orgasmed from the Wicked Hot Chocolate made with Ancho and
Chipolte peppers, cinnamon, sugar and cocoa solids. thick like pudding. ...
alt.polyamory - Sep 9 2002, 5:34 am by songbird - 39 messages - 20 authors

(FACTIVA)
Diversions; Smart Chart
Now that's hot
Caroline Hsu; edited by Marc Silver
210 words
U.S. News & World Report
76
Vol. 138, No. 6

Hot chocolate has gone upscale. This winter, Starbucks launched Chantico--a 390-calorie chocobar in a cup. And chocolatiers are blending premium nibs with herbs and spices for mixes to melt down and froth on the home stove.
BUY IT
Wicked Hot Chocolate. $16, mrchocolate.com (from celeb chef Jacques Torres).
MIX IT
Boil milk, whip in choco-powder with spices, sweet chili, smoky chipotle.
SIP IT
Thick and tangy, this is hot chocolate for grown-ups.
(FACTIVA)
Money and Business/Financial Desk; Section 3
GRASS-ROOTS BUSINESS
Chocolate Works Its Charm on the Brooklyn Waterfront

By TINA KELLEY
994 words
The New York Times
Page 5, Column 2
English
c. 2002 New York Times Company

IT roughly at the midway point between two of the biggest holidays of the chocolate season, Valentine's Day and Easter, Jacques Torres realized that after more than a year spent running Jacques Torres Chocolates, he had not ordered enough ingredients.
''We have been wiped out completely,'' he said cheerfully. ''We're 10 days off our schedule.''
For Mr. Torres, the former executive pastry chef at Le Cirque 2000, the pressures of managing a chocolate factory and retail store are a relative cakewalk compared with the long hours and relentless reviews that come with performing at a top-rated restaurant.
Mr. Torres, who grew up in Provence, decided in December 2000 that he needed a change from the restaurant business. Together with Ken Gotto, his sous chef, and Kris Kruid, his partner at home and at work, he opened his store and factory on the Brooklyn waterfront between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.
Though he still works about 12 hours a day, the move to full-time chocolate suits him, not to mention the public. ''You can say 'apple' in front of people, or 'pear,' but if you say 'chocolate' -- it's a magic ingredient,'' said Mr. Torres, 43. ''It has the same compound your brain produces when in love. That perhaps helps people to eat chocolate. It is a mood elevator.''
His customers come from as far away as Minnesota. Some stop by almost daily. They confess their addictions to the woman behind the counter, as they address that niggling emptiness that only chocolate can fill, even at $20 per half-pound.
The intersection of chocolate and messing around, if not full-scale love, is evident in the retail store, which shares 66 Water Street with the factory. The store sells concoctions like Wicked Hot Chocolate (with ancho and chipotle chilis, supposed aphrodisiacs) and Body Butter (''Don't make us give you directions,'' the label says).
FANS OF HDAS
Jon Lighter writes:
To fans of HDAS:

We're looking for comments of support for HDAS to include in future applications
for funding. If you're willing to share your enthusiasm, please tell what you
like about the dictionary, how you use it, and anything else encouraging and
positive. Your name and professional affiliation are a must.

Please send your comments to me or to Grant, grant.barrett at oup.com, but *not* to
the list.

Jonathan Lighter
Editor, HDAS
Boy, I'm depressed lately. Funding? You want to research words and LIVE? Why don't you do away with your mother and father? Why don't you clean urinals for New York City for twenty years? That's what my life is like.
Thirteen years ago, I asked ADS member William Safire for help after Gerald Cohen and I solved "the Big Apple." He could have helped a lot. It wouldn't have been difficult at all. And he didn't help. And he wasn't even goddamn kind.
Well, the Encyclopedia of Chicago will go online in about two weeks, and I'm going to be plagiarized. And the Big Apple Fest is starting up again, and the website still says that "the Big Apple" comes from whores. And it's baseball season, and people will be writing about hot dogs soon enough, and I can't speak to a single goddamn person on the New York Times. And an ADS person on the Times could mention my New York City website, and mention the Big Apple whore story, and mention the Windy City story, and mention the hot dog story, and really help out, but I'm Barry Popik, so that's not gonna happen.
Anyway, I hope that ADS members are far kinder to the HDAS, and that you get money.