Umfriend and Mmmfriend

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Apr 11 15:44:09 UTC 2005

Do we have other examples of emotive, discourse, or hesitation
markers being incorporated into words themselves? I can think of the
augmentative ker-, ga, - ka- prefixes (e.g., "kerflop) but nothing
else comes to mind, and they seem to have their origins as
attachments to existing words, not independent elements.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu