Indian sign (1895, 1897)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Apr 12 00:09:52 UTC 2005

>Good quotes.  I suspect there's a pop cultural allusion here, but I don't
>know to what.  Have always assumed it was some sort of magical "sign" or
>hex.
>
>JL
>
>"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
>Subject: Indian sign (1895, 1897)
>
>What was the basis for "Indian sign"? A hand signal (as in 'Indian sign
>language')? A symbolic mark of some kind, for religious or magical purposes
>or maybe for trail-blazing? Does anybody know?

 I wonder if anyone else on the list can confirm a hazy memory I have of
one use of what may be this sign.  Fist closed, fore- & little fingers
extended, hand held at the back of the head  to suggest "Indian" headdress.
I think it was called the "Indian sign." (It is basically the same as the
old European sign for cuckold,except for the position.)  School-aged kids
(in Lincoln NE in the '30s &'40s) used this as a way of saying "bullshit"
without utterance. It might also have had other negative meanings.
A. Murie