American Sign Language---query

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Apr 12 20:44:39 UTC 2005

First, thanx for the responses on XX;  very helpful.  Here's another issue that just came up today: Is American Sign Language (ASL) really a  "complete and natural language" as, e.g. the U of Minnesota says, or is it merely the signing skills (however valuable)  with which to communicate a natural language?
My campus' administration has turned to the Foreign Language section for insight on this matter, and I know virtually nothing about sign language.
I assume ASL is *not* a natural language but am open to persuasion on this point.
   This all has to do with whether my campus should offer foreign-language credit for ASL, or perhaps something else like free-elective credit
   Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Gerald Cohen
University of Missouri-Rolla