Keeping it real (1975?)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 14 01:47:52 UTC 2005

KEEPING IT REAL

Ben Zimmer adds:
I believe the hiphop exhortation to "keep it real" emerged in the early
'90s and became widespread by mid-decade.  The rapper Apache of the Flavor
Unit MCs had a song called "Keep It Real" in '93, and Kool Moe Dee had a
song with the same title the following year.

http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/rap_comp/lost_art/keepreal.rla.txt

These cites from Nexis and Proquest suggest that "keep it real" may have
already been in use by black entertainers c. '91-'92, though the phrase
hadn't necessarily become a fixed idiom yet:
Bill Mullins writes:
>From the 1970's, if not earlier:
"It's been real, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun."
(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Mango sunrise
John Lee;  Gerry Brown
1975
 Sound Recording : Music : Jazz :  LP recording 1 sound disc (37 min.) : 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ; 12 in.
Los Angeles : Blue Note,
Get This Item
Availability:Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 5

External Resources: Check availability

Find Related
More Like This:Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Find Items About:Lee, John, (max: 73)
Title:Mango sunrise
Author(s):Lee, John, 1952- ; Brown, Gerry,; ca. 1951- ; (Performer - prf)
Publication:Los Angeles :; Blue Note,
Year:1975
Music Type:Jazz
Standard No:Publisher: BN-LA541-G; Blue Note
Contents:Mango sunrise -- Breakfast of champions -- Keep it real --Ethereal cereal -- The stop and go -- Her celestial body -- Pickin' the bone --Magnum opus -- Haida.
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor:Jazz -- 1971-1980.
Note(s):Participants: For jazz ensemble; John Lee (the composer), bass ; Gerry Brown, drums and other percussion ; and others./ Recorded in Holland, Belgium, and New York City, June-July 1975.
Other Titles:Breakfast of champions.; Keep it real.; Ethereal cereal.; Stop and go.; Her celestial body.; Pickin' the bone.; Magnum opus.; Haida.
Responsibility:John Lee and Gerry Brown.
Material Type:Musical recording (msr); LP recording (lps)
Document Type:Sound Recording

OT: HAVING A BAD DAY: Is there something in the air today?...It's New York City. I have a Dell computer. I took it to Comp USA to get it cleaned out. I was told AT LEAST two weeks. Two weeks??...I mentioned that someone posted about me on alt.fan.letterman on April 11th. That post has disappeared. Did anyone else read it? I did see it, right?...Today is like a bad Seinfeld episode. I cleaned my apartment for the Road Runner guy. I got a knock on the door. It was the doorman, in grave tones. Did I put papers down the chute? Yes--hey, did somebody die? Well, it jammed the machine. Paper. Don't throw trash down the trash shoot again.
OT: WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--Naples 45, 45th Street in the Pan Am, er, Met Life Building. It has Naples' seal of approval, but the pizza I ordered was almost all dough and no cheese...I ate at Pizza 33 (East 33rd Street and Third Avenue) a few days ago, and it also has Naples' seal of approval. The slices there were pretty good. It was packed on Saturday night when I walked by.
NEWSPAPERARCHIVE ON CRACK
I got TWO "Dear Former Subscriber" e-mails today from Newspaperarchive. But I'm still subscribed and have a month left before automatic renewal. Has this happened to anyone else?
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE--MY ACCOUNT)
Member Since:  5/13/2004Current Membership:  Yearly
Next Payment On: 5/14/2005

Dear Former Subscriber;

It has been awhile since your subscription to NewspaperARCHIVE.com expired.

Can I ask why?

Not enough content? We're already over 24 million pages in our database and are
adding images at the rate of one million per month! NewspaperARCHIVE.com remains
home to the Web's largest collection of searchable, historic newspapers - from
every state in the U.S., as well as Canada, the U.K., Ireland, Denmark and
Jamaica.

Not happy with the speed of your searches? We're continually investing in
technical upgrades, including additional hardware, software and bandwidth to add
power to your queries!