Rikers Island slang; Semita, Chorreada, Cajeta empanada, Pan de queso, torta, panadero

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 15 03:59:16 UTC 2005

RIKERS ISLAND SLANG
Occasionally, I ask my parking ticket respondents about Rikers Island (prison) slang (the parking lot gives lot of tickets out), but I haven't received much. Anyone know the following? Anyone like "Butter Pecan Rican" (from the song?)?
(GOOGLE)
XXL Magazine | Features | 0804 | Tony Yayo
... That’s word to my daughter: I never got G-checked [Rikers slang for being
robbed]. I could say 60 percent of the niggas hated me, and 40 percent are ...
xxlmag.com/Features/2004/0804.yoya/ - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
Express Gay News
... winners include 15-year-old Tex-Mex girls who explored teen pregnancy, and
three inmates on Rikers Island who wrote The Monster (street slang for AIDS). ...
www.scenariosusa.com/press/expressgaynews1.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
New Yorker
... but it doesn't take a genius: the white shirts (prison slang for the senior
... such as the giant Rikers Island complex in New York City, near LaGuardia ...
www.tedconover.com/newyorker.html - 77k - Cached - Similar pages
Marijuana Policy Project: New York
... The 20-year-old did over a year in Rikers Island for dealing crack cocaine,
... Danny says "the blue and whites" -- slang for uniformed police officers ...
www.mpp.org/NY/news_928.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
Feedmarker
... initiated slang like "politic" and "butter-pecan Rican", ... streets, Brooklyn
House, Rikers Island and Up North - Wu-Tang was what was up. ...
www.feedmarker.com/user/hashim/tags/uk - 231k - Cached - Similar pages
SEMITA, CHORREADE, CAJETA EMPANADA, PAN DE QUESO, TORTA, PANADERO
(ADS-L POST)
On April 13, the LA Times published an excellent article entitled "A new world
of panaderías," which
contains lots of words that aren't in the OED. You might enjoy it if you haven't
seen it already:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-bakeries13apr13,0,678496.story

Paul
Thanks. I'm familiar with all these. From that article:
Pan dulce: Don't miss these

Semita (pineapple-filled pastry): This Salvadoran specialty is gaining in popularity and is often offered in Mexican bakeries. Panadería El Salvador. 50 cents

Chorreada (dirty one): This whole wheat pan dulce has a tempting brown-sugar glaze. La Mascota. 65 cents

Cajeta empanada (turnover): The fillings of sweet empanadas vary widely. This delicious and unusual example is filled with caramel-like cajeta. La Fama. 75 cents

Pan de queso (cheese bread): Sweetened cheese in the center makes this pan dulce hard to resist. La Adelita. 65 cents

Torta: These medium and large sweet loaves are rustically handsome. Guatemalteca Bakery. $3

Panadero (baker): The frosted white top symbolizes a baker's toque. Flecks of cinnamon spice the dough. El Rinconcito del Mar. 3 for $1.

— Barbara Hansen
(FACTIVA)
FOOD
Recipe Quest
Mexican buns answer reader's request
ANN CRISWELL, Houston Chronicle Food Editor
Staff
91 words
Houston Chronicle
2 STAR
2
Recipes that accompany this story may be viewed on Houston Chronicle microfilm.
Cemitas (or Semitas)
(FACTIVA)
LAGNIAPPE
EATING OUT
A SACRED SPOT FOR SALVADORAN FARE

GENE BOURG Restaurant columnist
1,393 words
The New Orleans Times-Picayune
THIRD
L33
The rest of the decoration gives the Pupuseria a distinctly domestic cast. Lining the shelves along the right wall are shiny bric-a-brac and photos filled with the smiles of Salmeron family members. Nearby is a glass counter holding jars of home-made confections - snow-white coconut candies, little tarts of thick pastry dough filled with pineapple jam, and squares of semitas, the crumbly-crust fruit cookies whose taste may remind you of fig newtons, but without the extra sugar.