Drunken Spaghetti or Drunken Noodles; Invisible Burgers

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 18 00:11:40 UTC 2005

It was a beautiful day out so I walked around the West Village. People were in love, but that can never happen to me. Nothing good can ever happen to me.
The below should be in an online food dictionary that of course I'll never get to, considering that I seem to get zero money and respect for my work. Anyway, here goes.
DRUNKEN SPAGHETTI OR DRUNKEN NOODLES
DRUNKEN SPAGHETTI--32 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits
DRUNKEN NOODLES--693 Google hits, 50 Google Groups hits
I ate at the Highline, 835 Washington Street (www.nychighline.com). It opened about a year ago. I had "Drunken Spaghetti..sauteed w. Thai chili, onion, basil and bell pepper. choice of: chicken, beef, tofu or shrimp." The brunch item was $11 and came with a lychee mimosa (or "Thai" Bloody Mary) and a sexy Thai waitress.
The usual term for it seems to be "Drunken Noodles," not "Drunken Spaghetti." See the 1991 Factiva article below.
(FACTIVA)
IFE: FOOD
FROM THE COVER; RECIPES USING WINE ARE WELL WORTH A TRY
Ann Heller and Mark Fisher DAYTON DAILY NEWS
1,617 words
Dayton Daily News
CITY
4C
English

BOOK CAN GUIDE WHEN COOKING WITH WINE
If you're interested in adding a little wine to your cooking, the best book may be John Ash's From the Earth to the Table (Dutton, $29.95), published in 1995 and still available. Ash made his name with his restaurant in Santa Rosa, Calif., and then as culinary director of Fetzer Vineyards. There are plenty of winery cookbooks out there, but Ash more than anyone puts wine to good use in cooking as well as pairing it with food.
New this year are some small volumes on Pasta With Red Wine and Pasta With White Wine, subtitled Recipes From the Vineyards of Northern California, by Leslie Mansfield (Celestial Arts, $9.95 each). Both provide an easy introduction to experimenting with wine. Recipes range from Fettucine With Shrimp and Champagne Cream Sauce to Drunken Spaghetti.
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Drunken Noodles
... week or so ago. I got to poking around and found a recipe for Drunken Spaghetti
in Victor Sadsook's "True Thai" cookbook. I don't ...
soc.culture.thai - Apr 29 1998, 1:39 pm by Billwolfer - 1 message - 1 author
Restaurants near Kennedy Center?
... It's a short car ride from there to KC Entrees are more like $6-$9, although the
surroundings are nice enough. Get the Drunken Noodles or Pud Thai. Yum! ...
dc.dining - Dec 1 1992, 1:55 pm by Leif Neve - 3 messages - 3 authors

REQUEST: Thai Drunken Noodles & Chinese Sesame Noodles
REQUEST: Thai Drunken Noodles & Chinese Sesame Noodles Could someone please post
the receipe for a popular Thai restaurant dish called "Drunken Noodles" (I ...
rec.food.recipes - Jun 5 1991, 1:26 pm by som... at venus.ycc.yale.edu - 1 message - 1 author

(GOOGLE)
Thai Drunken Noodles Recipe
Recipezaar: The World's Smartest Cookbook. Recipes cooking & nutritional information
for every food & drink posted & rated by real people like you.
www.recipezaar.com/114614 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
DRUNKEN NOODLES - Thai Food
A Thai Hangover Cure-Rice noodles quickly stir fried with vegetables and chicken
in a satisfying tasty sauce. - DRUNKEN NOODLES - Thai Food is a personally ...
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29593.asp - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
iChef.com Free Recipes - Pasta Recipes: Drunken Spaghetti ...
... Drunken Spaghetti (Spaghetti dell Ubriacone). Click category for more recipes:
Pasta Recipes | Radio Kitchen. Average Rating: (2 votes) ...
www.ichef.com/recipe.cfm?task=display& itemid=174058&recipeid=96490 - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
Food Network Canada: Recipes: Christine Cushing Live: Drunken ...
... Drunken Spaghetti Yield: 4 Recipe Courtesy David Rocco “David Rocco’s Dolce Vita”
... Drunken Spaghetti. Bring salted water to boil in a large pot. ...
www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails/recipe_6336.asp - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
Restaurants, Chicago Restaurants, Food, Dining, Lunches, Takeout ...
... Phat kee mao spaghetti, a "drunken spaghetti," was so spicy hot, ... The tom
yum soup and drunken spaghetti were much hotter than the menu indicated. ...
metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/mmx-14272_lgcy.story - Similar pages
Paya Thai - Appertizers
... Drunken Spaghetti. $6.95. $8.95. $8.95. $11.95. Sauteed spaghetti with a choice
of meat, basil leaves, and chili peppers. Spicy Fried Rice ...
www.payathai.com/m_noodles.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
[PDF] recipe index
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... Drunken spaghetti. S V . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20. Feta and
kaşar böreks. V . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .122 ...
gourmet.ninemsn.com.au/gourmettraveller/ downloads/recipeindexApr03.pdf - Similar pages
Catching Classics
... surprise if you consider the hours locals spend either tailgating at kamakazi
speeds or grid locked on the drunken spaghetti tangle of local freeways. ...
www.finetravel.com/oddsends/classicchtm.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
Chowhound's Tristate Region Message Board: Re(2): Taste of Thai in ...
... and entrees: ginger pork, pad prig king, pad thai, beef w/oyster sauce, thai
fried rice, drunken spaghetti, pork garlic, sweet/sour dishes, pad kra-pow, ...
www.chowhound.com/boards/tristate/messages/22543.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
Trip Report : MY LONGEST CRUISE, Summer 1979, Part 2
... The log records that Roger and Wendy tried the pub while I cooked our traditional
drunken spaghetti. I doesn't say what they thought of it (the pub, ...
www.mike-stevens.co.uk/reports/cruise1979b/page2.htm - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
Trip Report : THE LEEDS & LIVERPOOL, APRIL 1977
... I cooked my by-now-well-known Drunken Spaghetti, then we went to the Royal
Shepherd on the Springs Branch, another old favourite from past trips. ...
www.mike-stevens.co.uk/reports/cruise1977a/page1.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
Zurers in Italy: 2004: Saturday, October 02, 2004
... The menu is somewhat quirky…some traditional dishes and others more
imaginative—like “drunken spaghetti”—cooked in red wine, olive oil, and garlic. ...
www.zurer.com/italy200410/archive/2004_10_02_index.html - 19k - Apr 15, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
(FACTIVA)
GUIDE
DINING
Thai Thai: New hot spot on Lower Greenville

Waltrina Stovall
Restaurant Critic of The Dallas Morning News
968 words
The Dallas Morning News
HOME FINAL
6
English
(Copyright 1991)

Food * * *
Service * * *
Atmosphere * * *
OUTSIDE TEXAS and California, Thai food is said to have made barely a ripple on the culinary scene.
Perhaps the rest of the country just can't take the chile pepper heat.
Lots of Dallasites refuse to go more than a week without Thai'ing one on (after they've had their Tex-Mex fix, of course). Happily, the number of places at which we can indulge our taste for this fiesty and fresh-flavored fare keeps growing.
One of the latest entries is Thai Thai, opened in late August in the Lower Greenville space previously occupied by the Vietnamese restaurant Saigon.
Thai Thai looks almost exactly like Saigon did. However, new art from Thailand is on order, and the crisp green-and-white decor is so pleasant it doesn't need a radical overhaul.
Foodwise, the restaurant's strongest link is to Sala Thai, a 2-year-old restaurant farther up Greenville. Three of Thai Thai's owners -- manager Rueangchart "Charlie' Srivieng, waitress/cashier Noppawan "Nancy' Calzada and chef Somjai "Joanne' Praipaisankit -- worked there. The fourth owner is Pradith Souksanith, a businessman who ran Saigon briefly.
Prices are modest, and the menu offers a wide variety of appetizers, stir-fried entrees, curries, seafood and fried rice and noodle dishes. With a few exceptions, we encountered only moderate spicing. The kitchen will stoke the pepper fire -- or turn it down -- by request.
Finger shrimp ($4.50), a new appetizer to me, featured five large crustaceans, tightly wrapped in paper-thin rice paper and deep-fried to a golden crackle. They were so flavorful, they didn't need their sweet and sour dipping sauce.
Fried tofu ($2.95) triangles were crisply browned outside, but their centers were as meltingly delicate as custard. Here, as at Sala Thai, the green bean-studded fish cakes called tod mun ($4.50) are given an interesting jolt of curry heat and accompanied by a cooling cucumber sauce. Corn patties ($3.95), beautifully golden but chewier than most I've had, came with the same chunky sauce.
Tom kha gai ($2.95 a bowl), a chicken and coconut milk soup flavored with galanga ginger, lemongrass, keffir lime leaves and chile peppers, can be ambrosial when served in a hot pot, where the contrasting flavors get more and more intense. Single servings often disappoint; Thai Thai's didn't.
The hot-and-sour shrimp soup tom yum koong ($2.95) was delicious and incendiary -- though we carefully avoided the red peppers in the clear broth.
Yum nua ($6.95), one of eight salads offered, was a mix of grilled beef, tomatoes, onions and cucumber in a wonderfully tart-spicy-cool dressing. The beef strips were a little overcooked, but we'd try it -- or one of the other salads -- again.
One of our best entree picks was gang mussaman ($6.75), a mildly spiced curry of beef (chicken can be substituted), potato and onion chunks in creamy coconut milk sauce. Green curry ($6.75), chicken and eggplant in a pale emerald sauce, was considerably spicier, with keffir lime leaves adding a sour note.
"Drunken noodles' ($5.95, with beef, chicken or pork) contain no alcohol. They are so named because Thai people like them with drinks, we were told. We'd have them any time. The broad, flat noodles had soaked up a delicious, brown gravy; juicy bits of chicken, barely steamed broccoli florets and tomato topped them. The classic pad thai ($5.95) was a good version, with firm shrimp, slippery fried noodles, and finely shredded vegetables on the side.
(FACTIVA)
MAGAZINE
DINING
Noodles of Note on P Street

Phyllis C. Richman
1,245 words
The Washington Post
FINAL
w47
English
(Copyright 1989)

PAN-ASIAN NOODLES & GRILL- 2020 P St. NW. 872-8889. Open: for lunch Monday through Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; for dinner Sunday through Thursday 5 to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday 5 to midnight. All major credit cards. Reservations suggested for parties of four or more. No separate non- smoking section. Prices: lunch appetizers $2.50 to $5.95, entrees $5.50 to $9.95; dinner appetizers $2.50 to $5.95, entrees $5.50 to $12.95. Full dinner with wine or beer, tax and tip about $15 to $25 per person.
Where was this restaurant when "Tampopo" was sending us from the theater in search of a good bowl of noodle soup? Admittedly, Pan-Asian Noodles & Grill's noodle soups are Thai, but they are in the same tradition as the Japanese soups celebrated in the movie. These meal-size bowls of broth, noodles and meat or seafood can be mixed and matched: light chicken broth or spicy beef broth; egg or rice noodles; flank steak, meatballs, roast pork, roast duck, ground chicken, ground pork, won tons, seafood or crab meat. In all, there are 36 possible combinations, ranging from $6.50 to $8.95 at dinner, and the three I've tried were good enough to tempt me to try the other 33.
But there is far more than noodle soup at Pan-Asian Noodles & Grill. Noodles are also prepared "from the wok" in dishes that are both Thai and Chinese, hot and cold. And there are the grilled selections-chicken, pork chop, quail, fish and giant prawns imported frozen from Thailand. Some of the best dishes are appetizers, particularly the pork or beef satays and the scallops, shrimp or squid on skewers.
All this comes from a small kitchen staffed with a chatty group of women from several Asian countries. Watching them through the window behind the dining room is part of the fun.
The dining room consists of a dozen tables in a converted town house, with room for expansion upstairs. And while the matte-black tables are now covered with pink tablecloths at night, the feeling is that of a casual neighborhood restaurant. The dining room staff is so friendly that you feel guilty if you haven't dropped by for a while to tell them how you are doing. When the day is blustery, you are apt to be greeted with a pot of tea at the table. If there is a dish you particularly like but can't quite remember, your waiter is likely to recall it. And in this winter's flu season, the soup carryout business has looked so brisk that I've wondered which is called first, the doctor or Pan-Asian Noodles & Grill.
This is no bare, makeshift ethnic restaurant. Neon snakes along the walls and meets in one dazzling construction. The floor is carpeted, and the white chairs are whimsically decorated with one red spindle. The dishes are served on black china and garnished with bright vegetables cut into flowers or corrugated slices-which is pretty dashing for a $4 appetizer or an under-$10 entree.
Pan-Asian Noodles & Grill may look like a modern American restaurant, but it pulls no punches in the ethnicity of its cooking. The hot dishes are tear-jerking hot, and some of the spicing can taste pretty strange to American palates.
While I have few complaints about the food, I was disappointed to find such sweet sauces. And the tempura, an appetizer, should be immediately extinguished from the menu unless somebody learns how to properly deep-fry. Its greasiness is repeated in the egg rolls, but they are saved by a spicy filling of vegetables, meat and rice noodles.
Ignore my complaints about the frying and sweet sauces if you like tofu, because the appetizer called Tofu Dipping is delightful. Fresh, custard-soft bean curd is light and airy inside a fragile fried crust, and its dip is hot as well as sweet, just right with the bland curd. Satays, again a little sweet for my taste, are also irresistible, the six skewers of meat crusty, juicy and coated with a thick hot-and-sweet sauce crunchy with peanuts. Other skewered appetizers include beautiful snowy, golden-edged scallops and squid, perfectly grilled, again with a sweet-hot glossy sauce. But the Bangkok meatballs are too compact and bouncy. There is a compelling appetizer called Crying Tiger, which is beautifully cooked steak, pink inside with crusty edges, sliced and served cold with a clear dipping sauce dense with hot peppers. And prawn phu-ket is two startlingly large prawns in the shell (and with the heads on), smoky-tasting from being charred on the grill but pearly and tender inside, with a small dish of incendiary pepper sauce for dipping. Unfortunately, the prawns have less flavor than you would expect from something so imposing. The same is true of the Dragon Griller, which is an even larger prawn-more like a langouste-cooked similarly and just as novel-looking.
Other than the noodle dishes, I would pick carefully among the wok offerings. See-U Noodles, one of the better choices, is what the Chinese call chow fun, thick rice noodles that absorb the juices of their meat and vegetables. Here, they are tossed with crunchy oriental broccoli that has a pleasantly bitter edge, along with meat or seafood and bits of egg and onion. Drunken Noodles features similar substantial rice noodles topped with an interesting mix of minced chicken with Thai basil and hot pepper. Cozy Noodles is a variation of Chinese dan dan noodles with chicken and the same peanut sauce as on the satays. When the sauce is not too sweet, it is a very good dish. The same would be true of the pud thai, the standard Thai stir-fry of rice noodles with shrimp, bean sprouts and scallions, but it was far too sweet when I tried it.
INVISIBLE BURGERS
I did NOT eat at Pop Burger, 58-60 Ninth Avenue (between 14th and 15th Streets). It has an "Invisible Burger" that I was told is a veggie burger. So I guess you can see it. The place opened about a year ago, and it seems to be the only one offering such invisibility.
(FACTIVA)
NOW
TO DO LIST
YOU'LL FLIP FOR THESE BURGERS

IRENE SAX
198 words
New York Daily News
SPORTS FINAL
26
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

Pop Burger is next door to a steakhouse and across the street from the Meatpacking District, the right location for a shop
that sells upscale versions of fast-food miniburgers.
You'll get hungry just reading the wall surrounding the service counter, where white letters on a gray background announce that what's good here are the "hot burgers ... mouth-watering fries ... cool and frosty sodas . . . creamy shakes."
The main event in the slick blue-and-white shop is the Pop burger, two White Castle-size beef patties with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and a ketchup-based sauce ($5).
Vegetarians can order the invisible burger, made with, among other things, Portobello mushrooms ($5). It also offers a crispy fried shrimp sandwich on a bigger bun ($7), and crunchy-hot fries and onion rings ($2.75).
At night, Pop Burger opens up the swanky back-room lounge, which has a full bar and a great sound system, but up front, it's all burgers, shakes and chocolate chip cookies.
Pop Burger, 58-60 Ninth Ave., between 14th & 15th Sts.