New York Review of Each Other's Books

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 19 04:30:34 UTC 2005

I might add this to my website. Who first said it? The late Saul
Bellow, perhaps?
(GOOGLE)
Simonsays.com > SimonSaysKids > EL Konigsburg > Q&A > Print this Page
... the Everests of John Grisham and Danielle Steele on one side and
what Saul
Bellow calls "The New York Review of Each Other's Books" on the other.
www.simonsays.com/content/content. cfm?sid=183&pid=351641&agid=8&p=1 -
23k - Cached - Similar pages
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
29 December 1969, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. 27:
Certain familiar criticisms of The New York Review of Books are
exaggerated. It was unfair to call it The New York Review of Each
Other's Books. True, the cast of reviewers is finite, but a check of
the index reveals that well over 500 people, ranging all the way from
tepid liberals to extreme radicals, have contributed during the
review's first six years.
24 March 1974, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. 370:
Cleverly and, broadly speaking, appositely, Nobile divides the Review's
life hitherto into five phases: "The New York Review of Each Other's
Books," the initial phase when friend reviewed friend, usually
kindly;...