Nobody Does It Like Sara Lee?

Beth Simon simon at IPFW.EDU
Tue Apr 19 18:29:30 UTC 2005

Not advertising, but ...

Tommy Gallagher, boxing trainer, on the eighth fight on The Contender:

"He [Jimmy Lange] should be using his jab, taking his time,
counter-punching when Joey gets aggressive. In this business when you're
not doing nothing, you're supposed to tie the guy up and take him for a
walk."

beth simon

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Nobody Does It Like Sara Lee?

>> A more recent example of unfortunate burger-chain sloganeering is
"You
>> gotta eat!" for Checker's/Rally's.  As King Kaufman wrote on
Salon.com,
>> this could be interpreted as: "(What the Heck), Ya Gotta Eat! (or
>> you'll
>> starve, and eating our burgers is marginally better than
starvation)."

> now, this one strikes me as not so effective.
>
> arnold

--but probably accurate neverthe less. Truth in advertising???

roger