are we making since yet?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Apr 21 16:13:24 UTC 2005

Replied off-list only.

From:    Alice Faber <faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU>
> David Bowie wrote:

<snip>

>>>From before my dissertation, i've used z/t-tests to test for merger,
>>but i'm becoming more and more convinced there's got to be some *way*
>>better statistical tests for it--any ideas? (My father-in-law, a
>>mathematician, has floated some to my mind bizarre but maybe workable
>>ideas past me.)

> Marianna Di Paolo and I (with the advice of a statistician here at
> Haskins) used discriminant function analysis for this.

<David slaps hand against forehead>

Which i should have thought of right away, since i use your and
Marianna's work on Utah English as, like, 80% of the foundation for what
i've been working on the past five years.

Thanks for the reminder--sometimes i need them, apparently.

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx