one more (slightly used) eggcorn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 21 18:51:55 UTC 2005

At 11:21 AM -0700 4/21/05, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>>... my attempt to
>>open the file of eggcorns was thwarted.  It does look like it must be
>>an interesting collection, but all I could learn was that "There are
>>now 243 eggcorns in the database."
>>
>>Has anyone had better luck opening the database?
>
>use the homepage url --
>   http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/
>and then the search function.  i don't understand why your search for a
>particular file hung up.

The odd part is that it turns out not to be a property of the general
vs. specific URL used, but at least for me a property of the browser.
I can open it under any of the URLs via my antique browser, Netscape
Communicator 4.7 (on the Mac, running System 9.0.4), but not via the
browser I normally use, IE 5.0.  I know, I know, upgrade to System X
and kwitcherbitching.  Someday I will (probably when it's no longer
supported).

Larry