Banana Split (1905)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 22 02:24:23 UTC 2005

BANANA SPLIT
Just a re-check. See the previous post on "Mexican Banana Split."
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   The Fitchburg Sentinel Friday, July 27, 1906 Fitchburg, Massachusetts
...department has quadrupled in years. BANANA SPLIT lOo Nancy Brown 1 Oo..

   The Fitchburg Sentinel Monday, February 26, 1906 Fitchburg, Massachusetts
...So Orangeade..-............... So BANANA SPLIT Nanoy Brown Maple Pecan..

   The Fitchburg Sentinel Monday, October 09, 1905 Fitchburg, Massachusetts
...cver_put upon the stage. Seats are BANANA SPLIT 10c Pineapple Nut Frappe..

Pg. 6, cols. 7-8:
_New Soda Specials_
Banana Split 10c
Pinapple Nut Frappe 10c
Malted Orange 10c
Raspberry Nut Sundae 10c
Maple Pecan College Ice 10c
THE WHITE DRUG STORE
243 MAIN STREET
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC: WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?
A recent roundup.
GONZALEZ Y GONZALEZ (Mexican) on Broadway near Houston Street--Superior Mexican.
PREM-ON (Thai) at West Houston Street near MacDougall Street--A new one. A little above average for Thai.
ODEON on West Broadway--I had the French onion soup ($9). You can get better for half the price in this city. The waiter provided me with no slang or buzzwords at this former hotspot.
GINGER (Chinese) on Seventh Avenue near 38th Street--Not to be confused with Ginger House about two blocks south. Both are good Chinese standards.
TAJ (Indian) on Bleecker--It looks like the lunch buffet is a good deal, but I was there for dinner. OK Indian, about the same as Balucchi's.
PORTO BELLO (Italian) on Thompson Street near Bleecker--Disappointing old Italian standard.
CHANNEL FOUR (Irish Pub) in midtown near Rockefeller (or Al "Roker"feller) Center--Decent Irish pub. A Big Apple-tini is on the menu.
ANGELICA'S KITCHEN (vegetarian) on East 12th Street near Second Avenue--Not as upscale as Gobo. I sat at the "community table," which is the best place to pick up "friends of Dorothy."
LUZZO's (pizza) on First Avenue and East 12th--This place got a huge write-up in the New York Post for being one of the very few "coal-oven" pizza places in NYC. Coal places are no more and must be "grandfathered" in. The pizza was unimpressive.
ARTURO'S (pizza) on West Houston and Sullivan Street--Better than Luzzo's and serving coal-oven pizza since about 1957. The crust was too burnt for my taste. Surprisingly, not even mentioned in the NY Post coal-oven pizza article.
BUTTERFLY GRILL (Vietnamese)--This place just opened up at Bleecker and MacDougall. I've been telling jokes all day. Someone asked me what I'd have. "Butterflies." Butterflies? "They grill them. That's why it's the Butterfly Grill." Are they expensive? "No. Butterflies are free"...The waiters were slow and out of synch. Not as good as nearby Sammy's for Asian.
POP'S PIEROGIES (Eastern European) on Bleecker, opposite the Butterfly Grill--About a year old. I'd passed it a few times. Then it was featured this month in AM NEW YORK for the "best pierogies in the city," so I had to try it. Yeah, it's OK, but there are frozen pierogies that ar just as good.