Eggcorn v. dialect

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Apr 23 03:07:07 UTC 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Eggcorn v. dialect
> --------
>
> At 5:07 PM -0400 4/22/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>
>> "crouch" = crotch, as in, "She kicked him in his crouch," is another
>> good BE "standard" expression, so to speak.
>
> Perhaps, but not only BE.  I think of it as being in the same
> category as "prostrate trouble", maybe because they're both Andy
> Sipowiczisms.  (He was a working-class white detective played by
> Dennis Franz, supposedly from NYC but with giveaway echt Chicago
> vowels, late of NYPD Blue.)

"[Andy Sipowicz] was ..." Starting to feel old, Larr? Worried that
those younger than you no longer have any idea what you're talking
about, absent a full explanation of what was once common knowledge?
Sigh! I know just how you feel, old buddy. But I wish I didn't. I've
been - in fact, I still am - there. That "old" feeling can really harsh
one's mellow. You have my complete sympathy. :-(

-Wilson