keep a cow

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Sun Apr 24 00:32:21 UTC 2005

Don't have a cow is indeed much older than the Simpsons.  It belongs in the
negative "don't + (semi)painful action" paradigm rather thant the positive
"go + (do) + some absurd action."  One example mentioned was getting one's
britches in an uproar. The Brit version is "don't get your knickers in a
twist (or a knot)." (As opposed to getting a wedgie, which is not self
administered.)  It can also function as a description, i. e., he's got his
knickers in a knot. There is also the related set, "man, she'll have a duck
if she finds out" or a litter of kittens. The group seems to be "don't get
so upset" or "x will be really upset."

Jim

James C. Stalker
Department of English