Trademark status of "whizzinator"

Sun Apr 24 17:36:14 UTC 2005

I checked the website, and there is no claim there (that I can see) that the
manufacturers of "the Original Whizzinator" have registered their trademark.
Of course, the might be able to make a good case for claiming common-law
trademark rights.

In any case, it is certainly premature of Larry to judge that the product
name has undergone "so-called" genericide (an informal term universally applied
by the American legal profession to describe the legal genericization of a
formerly viable trademark). One would need to analyze the 3,760 Google hits, as
well as search for the term in other contemporary contexts, to even BEGIN to
make such a claim. One swallow does not necessarily make a spring (or a
specimen-cupful, for that matter). Moreover, while the author of the passage that Larry
examines (as oppposed to the players whom the author quotes) may not know
that the term is a trademark, since he is not one of the actual consumers, his
opinion really doesn't count legally. Bear in mind that, since the players
merely uttered the word "Whizzinator," there is no way for the author to know that
the term is or is not a trademark, since he has not seen the packaging, or the
advertising, or perhaps even the product itself: "whizzinators, they called
them" is no more valuable as evidence than "hummers, they called their
vehicles" would have been under parallel circumstances.