Quotations from 2005

Sun Apr 24 20:07:42 UTC 2005

John Baker wrote:
>        Does "culture of life" count?  The religious right's
>characterization of a "culture of life" has taken on new prominence in
>the wake of the Schiavo case and looks likely to last for at least a
>few years.  However, the phrase predates 2005.  I don't know when or
>by whom it was first used.

We might have the dearly departed Karol Jozef Wojtyla to thank...

-----
Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN), Aug 16, 1993, p. 1A
Under the searing Colorado sunshine, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains,
Pope John Paul told thousands of his "beloved youth" Sunday to fight
vigorously for life in all forms.
At his farewell address last night before ending his four-day trip to the
United States, with Vice President Al Gore standing nearby, the pope said,
"The culture of life means respect for nature and protection of God's work
of creation. In a special way, it means respect for human life from the
first moment of conception until its natural end." Gore, who supports
abortion rights, showed no reaction.
-----

Wikipedia agrees: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_life>.

--Ben Zimmer