Bamboo Spanish; Hell Bent for Leather (1918)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 25 07:35:46 UTC 2005

I just got finished adding "tar beach" and "B-boy" and "pedlock" to my
website...I'm downstairs at NYU and it's too late to check the HDAS.
Does Lighter have "bamboo Spanish"? It's not in OED?
I also came across a 1931 story "Hell Bent for Leather," but there's
earlier.
September 1931, Our Army, pg. 5:
But BAMBOO SPANISH or LINGUA TIENDA. This is the marketing language.
(...)
It is from this class of boys that the MUCHACHOS - house servants - are
recruited.
(...)
Pg. 47, col. 3:
The person easily shocked had better never attempt Bamboo Spanish.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
British Cavalry Rollicks Into Battle; Huns Swept From Woods When Time
Comes to Strike Back; "Hell Bent for Leather, Like Scalded Cats," Men
of Old Army Have Their Inning -- Cover Retreat of Infantry at Dire Cost
to Themselves -- Order to Attack Finds Them Gleeful -- Royal Horse
Artillery Has Gala Day. BRITISH CAVALRY IN BATTLE
(By PERRY ROBINSON.)Special Cable From the London Times to The
Washington Post.. The Washington Post. Apr 9, 1918. p. 1 (2 pages)