the historical ''base''

Mon Apr 25 13:54:50 UTC 2005

There seems to be little question that true euphemisms (e.g., GEE WHIZ, GOSH
DARN) were historically preceded by taboo words (JESUS, GOD DAMN). I'm sure
that there has been a historical disconnect for some people, who learn the
euphemism without learning it connection to its antecedent (though how long they
could remain in such ignorance would depend on their cultural surroundings).

But I can't see how this could be the case with GO FLY A KITE, GO KEEP A COW,
etc. and GO FUCK YOURSELF; any connection seems much more tenuous. I doubt
seriously that GO FUCK YOURSELF is the historical "base" form for GO FLY A KITE,
GO KEEP A COW, etc. (or that it is the psychological "base" form for them,
either). When Jim says that GO FLY A KITE, GO KEEP A COW, etc. "cease to be
euphemisms" and "take on a life of their own," it seems clear that he is
presenting a historical hypothesis--which is what I am disputing. And if he is not
putting forth a historical or psychological sense of "base," just what IS he
saying? Maybe "base" means 'taboo'?

I suggest that the "vague familiarity" that Jim speaks of needs no special
analysis. People are "vaguely familiar" with terms that they think they might
have heard someone say, but they aren't sure; they doubt that they use the terms
themselves. I guess people who are familliar with GO SCREW YOURSELF might
have their memory colored by that familiarity and thus be more likely to find GO
KEEP A COW "vaguely familiar," but I don't see why, in this sense of "base,"
GO FUCK YOUSELF would be any more the "base" form than GO SCREW YOURSELF, GO
BACK OFF IN YOUR OWN JACK YARD, or--more likely, GO FLY A KITE, which is
certainly familiar to most Americans, and linguistically and in terms of register
more like GO KEEP A COW than are the forms that make use of taboo words and
concepts.