? ? ? keep a cow

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 25 15:04:04 UTC 2005

At 5:30 AM -0700 4/25/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>My feeling has always been that "GFY" underlies "GCY," but there is
>an understandable lack of early written records.
>
>Indeed, I've always felt that "Go fuck yourself" may have developed
>from "Go frig yourself," since that, in the older sense of "frig,"
>is at least is physiologically possible.
>
>JL

Another possibility, though this is purely speculative, is that "go
fuck yourself" is a syntactic reworking of "(go) get (yourself)
fucked", as in the French "va (te) faire foutre" with the same
meaning and force.  I realize that there's also "fuck you" to deal
with, but I could imagine a shift resulting in the non-reflexive
meaning (where fucker =/= fuckee) taking on an apparently reflexive
form.  Somehow the idea that "go fuck yourself" derives from "go frig
yourself" just seems to go against the usual flow of traffic on this
road.