the meaning of ''developed from'' (and a googling paradox)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 25 20:37:03 UTC 2005

>"Spork" is certainly my favorite.
>
>dInIs

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought they've been around long enough to get
rusty enough for this particular application...

P.S.  A curious datum:  I googled "go fuck yourself with a" (bringing
in non-metallic implements, e.g. pieces of bread), and got 1400 hits.
Then I figured I'd try it without the "a" (figuring, inter alia, that
I should try to be initial-segment neutral in specifying the
implement), but there were just 616 hits for "go fuck yourself with".
It's not clear to me why *restricting* the search by *adding* the
indefinite article should result in more than doubling the number of
hits turned up.  Can anyone help explain this paradox?