bodacious, c1936

Fri Apr 29 19:02:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:43:02 -0500, Mullins, Bill
<Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

>I've often heard the word in the phrase "bodacious tatas" (big boobs),
>so it may also mean "bosomy" in the quotes below.

Yeah, but "bodacious tatas" only dates to 1982, from _An Officer and a
Gentleman_ It's generally assumed that the 'sexually attractive' sense of
the mid-'80s derives from the line in the movie, so I was surprised to see
cites suggesting that this sense was around 50 years earlier.

--Ben Zimmer