moonshot; magnetohydrodynamics

Fri Apr 29 21:11:39 UTC 2005

moonshot

(OED has 1958; OED SF project does not have.)

"Moon Shot Hope of U.S." [headline] Indiana | Hammond | The Hammond Times | 1957-10-07  p. 1  col. 6

Russians May Be Near Firing Rocket to Moon  ALTON L BLAKESLEE Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File); Nov 4, 1957; pg. 1 (cite from p 7 col 5.)

"If a doggy satellite is not a  big enough surprise to mark Thursday's 40th anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution, the moon shot could be."

magnetohydrodynamics
(OED has 1950)

Title: Alfvén's theory of sunspots
Authors: Cowling, T. G.
Journal: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 106, (1946) p.446 (cite from p. 451)
"We turn to consider Alfven's Hypothesis B (Paragraph I), that the sunspot magnetic field is generated from the Sun's general field by reason of "magnetohydrodynamic" (m.-h.) waves transmitted along the lines of force of that field."