shell shock

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 30 20:58:04 UTC 2005

In a message dated  Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:22:04 -0500,   "Mullins, Bill"
<Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> writes:

>  OED has Dec 1915.
>
>  The Times of London.  Saturday, Nov 20, 1915; pg. 10; Issue 41017; col A
>
>  "Survivors From The Anglia. A Talk With Rescued Soldiers., Message From
>  The King. "
>
>  "He was on his way home suffering from shell shock, the result of a
>  chance shot into a group of men engaged in sapping operations."

Look in the ADS-L archives (or I can send you the relevant material if you
prefer) for a thread "Newspaper interview request" beginning on 3/25/2003.  This
thread includes the following antedatings:
     1915 _N.Y. Times_ 30 Oct. 2
     Lancet, issue of July 10, 1915,
     Lancet, issue of February 13, 1915
along with a lengthy discussion of whether the citations referred to the
psychological condition now called "battle fatigue" or "post-traumatic-stress
disorder" or to the physical effects of artillery fire.

     - James A. Landau