Green Jade (Broccoli, String Beans, Snow Peas)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 1 03:53:07 UTC 2005

At 8:34 PM -0400 7/24/05, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>After spending the weekend walking across the George Washington Bridge to
>New Jersey and...I/we had some takeout at the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant,
>"Famous Cantonese, Hunan & Szechuan Cuisine," "The Best Restaurant in
>Washington Heights," 800 West 181 Street.
>It offered "green jade," which is broccoli, snow peas, and green beans. I
>haven't checked "green jade" on the usual databases.

I'm just back from Shanghai, where I encountered inter alia these
dishes on the menu of a very nice Sichuan restaurant.  I trust that
none of these are located in any of the data bases (and no, I didn't
manage to get myself to order any of them--the menu was very large,
and I stuck to pork, squid, eggplant and other tame ingredients):

Fragile intestines on hot rock
Flavor hot and sour duck blood
Boiled beef in bean brain
Spiced goose's gizzard