"O tempora, O mores!"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Aug 1 13:21:11 UTC 2005

According to M-W dating policies, the 1675 quote theoretically
COULD be the first occurrence of the phrase as an English
quotation. Of course, M-W doesn't enter whole quotations as
English lexical items, so the issue is kind of academic. (We do list
phrases like "O tempora o mores" in the "Foreign Words and
Phrases" backmatter section, but they are neither dated nor
treated as fully naturalized locutions.)

But the point is, if we were dating this phrase as fully naturalized English loan
from Latin, its first occurrence would be its earliest use in an
English context where it could be reasonably assumed that an English speaker unfamiliar with Latin
understood its meaning.  The Ciceronian coinage would be considered
its etymology.

For what it's worth (probably not much),

Joanne