Lynching redux

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Tue Aug 2 16:48:56 UTC 2005

James A. Landau wrote:

>A lynching is
>1) a premeditated killing
>2) in which the killers (sometimes called "vigilantes") have no legal
>standing to try or punish the victim
>3) in which the killers justify their premeditated action by claiming the
>victim's alleged action justified and/or required killing him/her
>4) AND in which the narrator who uses the word "lynching" disapproves of  the
>killing.
>
>Note number 4).  "Lynch" is NOT a neutral term.  It is a value  judgment,
>used only when the narrator disapproves of the killing.

Though I've not been following this thread closely, the above formulation
caught my eye.  At the same time, I have been finding considerable mention
of actual lynchings in Kansas in the 1880s.  The following 1884 account
seems to me to contradict Landau's point 4), above.  You may disagree, but
I am not able to find any of Landau's required disapproval in this item.
Other lynchings reported in this newspaper also seem to lack such
disapproval, although some might be seen as 'neutral' or ambiguous in tone.

Michael McKernan