Lynching redux

Tue Aug 2 17:41:51 UTC 2005

> Thomas called it a "high-tech lynching".  I wouldn't agree he
> was justified in the usage, which I considered to be an
> insult to the memory of all those who were actually lynched
> in the usual low-tech way.

Do you make the general assertion that if a figurative usage is of less
significance than the literal usage, it demeans the literal usage?

If I say, "Laurence, you're killing me with your posts," have I insulted
people who have really been killed?
If the Sierra Club says that the Bush administration is raping the
environment, what about people who've really been raped?  Have they got
a legitimate beef with the Sierra Club?

I don't know exactly where I stand on this, I'm just asking you to
expand on your opinion.