Lynching redux

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Tue Aug 2 20:23:23 UTC 2005

James, I beg to differ with 4).

I have here on my desk a book called Without Sanctuary: Lynching
Photography in America.

It's chilling stuff.

One of the practices of those who lynched black people was to pose with the
victim and create commemorative picture postcards from the photos. I'll
quote from the introduction, which describes one such postcard that a
Unitarian minister, John H. Holmes, received after he'd condemned lynching.
The person *sending* the postcard wrote, "This is the way we do them down
here. The last lynching has not been put on card yet. Will put you on our
regular mailing list. Expect one a month on the average."

Another quote is from a newspaper in Meridian, Mississippi: in an article
that is sympathetic to the lynchers, the writer says, "The men who do the
lynchings...are not men who flout the law but men who sincerely believe
they have the best interest of their fellow wmen and women at heart."

Here's a quote from William Van Amberg Sullivan, former US Senator from
Mississippi:
"I led the mob which lynched Nels Patton, and I am proud of it. I directed
every movement of the mob and I did everything I could to see that he was
lynched."

I'm sure people can dig up a lot more--I get sickened every time I open
this book, which is why I make myself do it from time to time. It's
instructive to remember that both those who perpetrated the atrocities and
those who condemned them called the practice "lynching."

I would agree that, nowadays, if someone uses the word "lynching" to refer
to something that is not a vigilante killing, that person is more likely
than not to be intentionally evoking the connotation of unjust
victimization. But I wouldn't say that anyone reporting on a vigilante
killing who calls it a "lynching" is making a value judgment. Certainly,
articles and books that treat the subject of lynching are using the term
descriptively.

Wendi Nichols