Strangolapreti (Priest-stranglers)

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Aug 3 16:18:18 UTC 2005

> From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of
> bapopik at AOL.COM
> In an attempt to corner the priest-stranglers' vote, I present you with
> "strangolapreti." It's mentioned in a food review today and is not in OED
(of
> course).

This may be a silly question, but why should strangolapreti be in the OED?
Many other dishes that are more widely known and eaten on planet Earth than
strangolapreti, such as yuxiang qiezi (????), are not in the OED either.
After all, strangolapreti is not an English word. Lonely Planet Italy,
Fommer's Northern Italy, and Pasta: The Story of a Universal Food mention
the word, which is well and good. But the OED is not a compendium of foreign
recipes or food names.

Ducking,
Paul
Paul Frank