Sweet Sixteen

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 3 17:26:40 UTC 2005

(Early American Newspapers)
..
December 26, 1792    December 26, 1792 The Diary, or Loudon's Register, pg. 3: DiaryPoetry
December 26, 1792    DiaryPoetry The blooming maid of sweet sixteen,
And clap'd by all fair Beauty's queen,
She left her parent's home.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mullins, Bill <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:13:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Sweet Sixteen

under "sixteen"

4. A girl of sixteen.

  c1840 O. W. HOLMES The Dilemma 2 Now, by the bless'd Paphian queen,
Who heaves the breast of sweet sixteen.

under "sweet"

sweet seventeen: see SEVENTEEN a. 2; now more usually, sweet sixteen
(cf. SIXTEEN n. 4);

1826 Blackw. Edin. Mag. XX. 138/1 A bright-eyed, round-limbed virgin of
*sweet sixteen. 1898 J. THORNTON (song-title) When you were sweet
sixteen. 1977 Grimsby Even. Tel. 5 May 12/3 Unfortunately everybody
can't be sweet 16 and there are many shops catering for the older woman.