"Let's don't/not and say we did"

Thu Aug 4 11:55:25 UTC 2005

There's some discussion on the alt.usage.english newsgroup about the
expression "Let's don't and say we did," and the variant "Let's not and
say we did." Both go back to the late '20s at least-- "Let's don't..." was
a song title in 1929, but "Let's not..." has more attestations in the
databases (with one cite suggesting it was a "nifty" back in 1905).

-----
http://settlet.fateback.com/BRN4500.htm
Brunswick 4500-5000
Catalog: 4568
Artist: SLATZ RANDALL & HIS ORCH
Tune: LET'S DON'T AND SAY WE DID
Matrix: C4390
Date: 09/21/29
Composer: Ponce; Flatow
-----
Chicago Tribune, Mar. 18, 1928, p. F3/1
The doors were shut, and as we hesitated there I turned to him and said:
"O, let's not and say we did," as if we had marriage in view.
-----
Washington Post, Mar. 4, 1935, p. 20/3
"Come on, less get going," one of them kept saying. The other, or Emma
Mae, returned punctually, "Less not and say we did!" and there was
laughter.
-----
Sheboygan Press (Wisc.), Sep. 18, 1935, p. 16/4
Nifty, 1905: "Let's not and say we did."
-----
Nebraska State Journal, Oct. 11, 1938, p. 13/1
Ben received the suggestion coldly. "Let's not, and say we did."
-----

--Ben Zimmer