"Brass tacks" (1876) and etymological evidence

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 7 16:33:20 UTC 2005

"Brass tacks" < "facts" has always struck me as a SWAG, since "brass tacks" never seems to denote "facts."

                * Sluggo ! I want an Extra !  Get the brass tacks on the Canary murder case !

I don't think so...

JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: "Brass tacks" (1876) and etymological evidence

Hmmm. Very interesting. "Brass tacks" is supposed to be rhyming slang for "facts"; hence "get down to brass tacks." But then why do the dictionaries say that this expression started in the U.S.? Why not in the speech of Cockneys?

Also, Doug provides good antedatings. (HDAS has 1895 for the earliest attestation.)

Gerald Cohen