"Brass tacks" (1876) and etymological evidence

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Mon Aug 8 19:42:19 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>Neither an eggcorn nor a stupidism. Just a silly lapse.
>
>I blame society.

Not that I don't believe you; substitution between two irregular past
participles that sound alike are not something I'd enter in the database
right away.  But there are certainly a few strange cites out there:

----
A color photo of a vehicle involved in a fire caused by static
electricity was shone to the committee.
<http://www.umt.edu/publicsafety/committeeminutes_2002.htm>
----
[God a]ppeared as:

   1. Voice to Adam
   2. A Man (angel of the LORD) to Abram
   3. Dream of the LORD at the top of a ladder to Jacob
   4. A wrestler to Jacob
   5. A burning bush to Moses
   6. A pillar of cloud and fire to Israel
   7. The back part of God was shone to Moses

<http://www.godglorified.com/theancientofdays.htm>
----
great love was shone to Jehovah's people during the time of the
Congregation in the wilderness, and also during the reign of the
patriarchs before the birth of Christ.
<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/4134/trinity.html>
----
"I saw this trail of blood and could only fall to my knees asking God
for forgiveness", said Ms. Adelaide Schutzmacher. "The power of the Lord
was shone to me that day".
<http://www.eotr.org/97news.html>
----
As time goes by you remember fewer and fewer names of classmates, but
cherish the warmth and friendship that was shone to me.
<http://bessemerhigh.com/Articles/j_goldman3_2.htm>
----

Chris Waigl

--