New coinage?

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Aug 8 22:06:04 UTC 2005

I had a similar reaction upon hearing "recess appoint" recently.
e.g. Sen. Reid was quoted as saying "The reason Bolton is being recess appointed is ..."

-Matt Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Wilson Gray
Sent: Mon 8/8/2005 4:49 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: New coinage?

Really?! I'm astonished! For me, such a form is just barely English.
Clearly, I'm going to have to expand my grammar to include these - to
me - odd-ball formations. I've heard such forms before and even made
some up, but, heretofore, I considered them to be nonce-formations
thrown into a conversation for laughs. What caught my attention in this
case was the fact that the speaker clearly wasn't just trying to be
funny. Needless to say, I find nothing strange about forms like
"name-calling."

-Wilson