Re: New coinage?

Tue Aug 9 14:33:16 UTC 2005

Ben Zimmer's comments are really helpful. Still, I think I can readily make
up examples, though I also have the intuition that people would find them odd.

1 a. The politician has a passion for baby kissing.
    b. The politicain baby-kissed his way across Kansas
    c. The politican baby-kissed 37 infants in Kansas City.
2. a. The chicken was one of the flu-spreading birds found in rural areas.
     b. The chicken flu-spread throughout a wide area on rural Oz.
     c.   The chicken flu-spread the disease in rural Oz.
3. a. Alvin has a passion for birthday-card sending.
     b. Alvin has been birthday-card sending all his adult life.
     c. Alvin birthday-card-sent me an obscene greeting.

I supppose that one could argue that, unlike my examples (2) and (3),
"name-call(ing)" is an independent lexical item the meaning of which is greater than
the sum of its parts. And there are obvious grammatical compexities in the
differences in the ways that the three sets of sentences work. Still, would any
speaker of English complain that the "c" sentences are morphosyntactically
"ungrammatical"?