The Last "Mohican"?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Aug 10 21:37:11 UTC 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: The Last "Mohican"?
> --------
>
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:40:55 -0400, Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM>
> wrote:
>
>> I was afraid of that my making such a distinction was one the cases in
>> which a dialect preserves a feature lost from the standard language.
>> When I was younger, I knew (black) people who  pronounced "deaf" as
>> "deef," the same as the (white) Kentucky hill-country characters in
>> the
>> comic strip, Li'l Abner. It had the virtue of keeping "deaf" [dif]
>> separate from "death" [dEf].
>>
>> An On-Language article written while Safire was on vacation touched on
>> this, suggesting that the BE slang term, "def," was really only a
>> "phonetic" respelling of the "country" BE pronunciation of "death,"
>> ultimately extracted from such phrases as "cat be death [dEf] on mice"
>> and influenced by sE "def" from "definitely."
>
> Here's the column you're remembering (by Brent Staples, Dec. 18, 1988):
>
>         Still in search of the derivation of def, I phoned a
>         company called Def Jam Recordings, which produces a
>         good deal of rap music these days and was founded in
>         1984. With the company's logo and stationery, def was
>         lent an immortality rare in this era of fame that
>         lasts only five minutes. It was with Def Jam
>         Recordings that I struck pay dirt - and confirmed a
>         deep suspicion.
>
>         Russell Simmons, a founder of the company, said that
>         his partner, in designing the logo for the company's
>         record label, may have been the first to set def down
>         in writing. Simmons also said that his associate had
>         clearly misheard the word as it was then spoken in
>         the streets. Def, Simmons said, was a mispronunciation
>         of death.
>
>         It is common for many people in the rural South and
>         the urban Northeast to pronounce "th" as "f." Def,
>         then, to my great joy, seems to be a relic of my
>         boyhood. When our high-school basketball team soundly
>         defeated a rival, we often said, "Man, we were death
>         on them," meaning that we had killed them, figuratively.
>         Death is used here as an absolute, a locution that is
>         in vogue these days.

My father, a native of backwoods Alabama, though he was a graduate of
the University of Wisconsin, went to his death pronouncing it as [dEf].
Usually, I agree completely with anything that Staples writes. This
time I don't. Both the locution, "be death on NP," and the
pronunciation, [dEf], are *far* more widespread than Staples suggests.

-Wilson Gray