figurative "bootstraps" (1834)

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Thu Aug 11 21:03:59 UTC 2005

Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

>The OED entry for "boot(-)strap" clearly hasn't been revised in a while,
>as it only has cites for the figurative sense from 1922 (in _Ulysses_).
>Cites from the 19th century are easy enough to find on the databases,
>though the original sense was not simply "to raise or better oneself by
>one's own unaided efforts", but to try to do so in a ludicrously
>far-fetched or quixotic manner. The 1834 cite below, for instance, is
>ridiculing a person who claimed to have invented a perpetual motion
>machine.
>
>It's been widely suggested that the "bootstrap" metaphor originated in the
>legendary tales of Baron von Münchhausen. As Chris Waigl recently pointed
>out on the Eggcorn Database (commenting on "boots-trap"), the original
>German version has a scene in which Münchhausen gets out of a swamp by
>pulling on his own hair. In an American retelling (supposedly), the Baron
>uses his bootstraps to pull himself out of a similar predicament. None of
>the 19th-century cites I've seen allude to the Münchhausen story --
>instead, they often refer to pulling oneself over a fence or up a steeple.
>So if Münchhausen really pulls himself up by his bootstraps in an American
>version (which I have yet to verify), then the writer probably took
>advantage of preexisting imagery for an absurdly impossible task. (Can
>anyone actually verify this? Fred?)

This is interesting. I'm sure you're on to something there.

My sources for the speculation about the "American re-telling" were
several half-way serious looking German web sites that, er, re-told that
story.

The German and English Wikipedia pages have a bit more on the editorial
history of the tale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Munchhausen
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Friedrich_Hieronymus_Freiherr_von_M%C3%BCnchhausen

The first version was anonymous and circulated in 1781 (over a decade
before the death of the Baron of Münchhausen). Then Rudolf Erich Raspe
translated the stories into English (why he would do that, I don't have
the faintest idea) in 1785, a text that was re-translated back to German
by Gottfried August Bürger a year later and published in Germany. The
latter is the "traditional" German version, which contains the story
with the hair tuft (end of chapter 4). (He pulled himself
_and_his_horse_ out of the morass, something I forgot; so I was wrong
about the boots being stuck, or might have remembered some cartoon
version I saw as a child.) There are lots of others, the most famous
probably Immenman's (1839).

The text easily available in English under Raspe's name
(http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/baron10.txt) is from 1895 -- an
entire century later -- and browsing through it, I can't find any
references to swamps, morasses, pulling oneself out or anything like it.
I have no idea if Bürger put this little story in, or if it was in the
original Raspe text, or the first anonymous version. In any case, much
of this circulated orally in Germany first.

So, yes, I find it likely that the "pulling oneself over/out of(?)
something by one's boot-straps" metaphor entered the Münchhausen story
from the English (language) side somehow, and arose independently and
maybe at the same time as the Münchhausen stories did in Germany.

Chris Waigl

--
blog:      http://serendipity.lascribe.net/
eggcorns:  http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/