pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or easy eno

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 17 16:52:12 UTC 2005

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>

>>Actually, the overtly sexual "pussy" is solidly attested from the late
>>19th C.  Your cite does show just how pervasive it had become by 1960.
>>(When was the last time you heard a non-child refer to a "kitty" as a
>>"pussy" ?)
>

> My wife frequently addresses our two cats as "puddies."  It may be that
> she is consciously or subconsciously avoiding the double-entenderish
> "pussies."

Maybe it's just a relic of whatever cartoon that was with "I tought I
taw a putty tat".

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963