pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or easy eno

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 17 18:56:44 UTC 2005

In that case, then, the "+ female" term would be the default designation. Unusual.

The same would be true of "kitty-cat."  No it wouldn't.

JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or
easy eno

At 11:09 AM -0700 8/17/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Not that the subject comes up frequently, but I've known more than
>one person who insisted that "pussy-cat" refers only to female cats,
>being the complementary term to "tomcat."
>
>Nuance not in OED.

I would think at most it's a privative opposition, in that if you
didn't know the sex it could still be a pussy-cat, or if there was a
house full of kitties of assorted sexes they could be described as a
bunch of pussy-cats, but once you knew of a given one that it was
male it would be a tom-cat. So it's a bit like "cow" vs. "bull" or,
in the other direction, like "lion" vs. "lioness".

LH