What does "laconic" mean?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 17 20:16:31 UTC 2005

At 3:54 PM -0400 8/17/05, sagehen wrote:
>Since fiction is clearly the setting where "laconic" does most of its work,
>I'd guess that its appearance in reference to characters who also were
>depicted as
>  >emotionless; affectless; dispassionate<  might well lead to the
>assumption that "laconic" was just another way of alluding to that quality.
>
>For some reason, I actually remember that my first encounter with "laconic"
>was reading Erle Stanley Gardner when I was 12 or 13.  Paul Drake was
>laconic.  I looked it up!
>AM
>~~~~~~~~~

where (at least in the AHD's word history) one sees it originated as
a delocative for a region, Laconia, which is synecdochically (or is
it metonymically?) associated with Sparta and Spartans.  So
etymologically speaking, a laconic narrator might be as martial
and/or frill-less as s/he is taciturn.  Our resident Spartan
informants should be able to help us out here, e.g. dInIs, the soul
of laconicity.