Butter Beer & Scott's Root Beer Razzle

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 21 19:27:10 UTC 2005

BUTTER BEER + ROOT BEER--270 Google hits, 7 Google Groups hits
Jesus, what a week. Rejected by almost every friend. I wrote in letters to the editor to newspapers that got stuff wrong, and as usual, they weren't printed. Not even Rudy Giuliani gave me money. And you got to figure, Rudy Giuliani, he's a Republican, he's got at least $250, he's GOT to help, and I'm running for Manhattan Borough President, running on the same Republican-Liberal lines that he did, and maybe that would be of some interest to him, maybe a chat or something.......
I went to the Emack & Bolio's ice cream shop at Houston Street (near NYU). A "specialty item" was "Scott's Root Beer Razzle." It's root beer plus ice cream, mixed in. Like a root beer float, but they mix it. A person named "Scott" had come into the store and said that he saw this "razzle" being sold somewhere else. My Google searches for "razzle" plus "ice cream" don't seem to find it anywhere.
"Butter Beer" is a much more popular Harry Potter-inspired item that should be noted.
(GOOGLE)
The Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant - Fayre & Libation THOMAS KEMPER?S ROOT BEER OR VANILLA CREAM SODA 2.5 ... Berry Guinness (Guinness & Raspberry Liqueur); Razzle Dazzle (Cider & Raspberry Liqueur) ...
www.theblacksheep.com/menus.html - 55k - Cached - Similar pages
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
butter beer
... So, to answer your question, yes, butter beer is an actual drink ... Crowell's sweet
and creamy Butterbeer Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups of your favourite root beer 4 or ...
alt.fan.harry-potter - Jun 1, 6:33 am by Gary Meuse - 10 messages - 10 authors

Azkaban Movie and Moral Issues
... I believe butter beer is the equivalent of something called 3/2 beer which is a
beer manufactured with There is also root beer, ginger beer, etc. ...
alt.fan.harry-potter - Jun 16 2004, 6:04 am by Alun - 83 messages - 27 authors

another poll...another contest...another day
... We always got Root Beer and hot dogs oh my god I'll never forget my first french
fry there ... She basted it with a mixture of butter,beer and worchestershire sauce ...
alt.support.arthritis - Mar 22 2003, 11:57 am by dale barnhart - 168 messages - 42 authors

We've seen the beans, where's the beer?
... Or possibly dairy products. I assumed that butter beer was sort of a 'butter
toffee' version of cream soda/birch beer/root beer. -- Teph
alt.fan.harry-potter - Jan 20 2003, 5:45 pm by Tephra Lynn Davis - 15 messages - 12 authors

Butter beer
For Hot, Frothy Butterbeer (These do not include Cream Soda or Root
Beer) hmmmm... that sounds really gross. :) -Roe
alt.fan.harry-potter - Dec 2 2002, 1:25 pm by R. Tursi - 6 messages - 6 authors

Here's another issue we haven't covered (I think)
I ran across a recipe for butter beer somewhere, (can't remember where), and it
didn ... I would have to think it's not alcoholic, like root beer (does anyone drink ...
alt.fan.harry-potter - Jan 23 2002, 9:35 pm by Kal Alexander - 24 messages - 17 authors

Waah! What to do!? I have no fecking clue.....(stupid ...
Root beer.....wussy stuff..... Try butter-beer! Beeter yet, transform
into a house-elf first! :-) Just a monkey, Scott Found ...
alt.fan.dragons - Sep 9 2000, 7:58 am by Scott L - 40 messages - 16 authors

(FACTIVA)
Let's Eat
A month of Sundaes
By Cleora Hughes Of the Post-Dispatch
614 words
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Five Star Late Lift
1
English
Copyright 2005, St. Louis Post-Dispatch. All Rights Reserved.

AUGUST 2005
1
BY THE SEA
Graham cracker crumbs, blue ice cream (such as Cotton Candy flavor from Serendipity in Webster Groves), whipped cream, paper umbrella
2
SPOONABLE S'MORES
Fudge-ripple ice cream, marshmallow cream, crumbled graham crackers
3
OZARK TURTLE
Butter-pecan ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, a cherry on top
4
BANANA CREAM PIE
Vanilla ice cream, vanilla wafers, sliced bananas, whipped cream, toasted coconut
5
APPLE PIE A LA MODE
Vanilla ice cream, apple pie filling, dusting of cinnamon, chopped pecans, in a waffle-cone bowl
6
PEACHES & CREAM
Peach ice cream, chopped fresh peaches tossed with vanilla sugar
7
ALOHA PARFAIT
Pineapple sorbet layered with fresh or jarred chopped mangoes, crushed macadamia nuts, crystallized ginger, plus a splash of rum
8
EYE OPENER
Chocolate cake doughnut, coffee ice cream, chocolate-covered espresso beans
9
GRASSHOPPER
Vanilla ice cream, green creme de menthe liqueur, Andes mints
10
IN THE CHIPS
Choice of ice cream with chocolate, white chocolate and butterscotch chips
11
TOO DARNED HOT
Vanilla ice cream, chile- pepper-scented sauce
12
BUTTER BEER (for Harry Potter fans)
Butter-pecan ice cream in a root-beer float
13
KID'S SPECIAL
Vanilla ice cream, chopped peanut butter sandwich cookies, strawberry or grape jam
14
RAZZLE-DAZZLE
Choice of ice cream, marshmallow sauce, multicolored sprinkles
15
RAISIN CAIN
Vanilla ice cream, rum-soaked raisins
16
DARLIN' CLEMENTINE
Choice of ice cream, clementine orange sauce
17
FLORAL FANTASY
Vanilla ice cream, crystallized roses and violets
18
FROZEN FLAN
Dulce de leche ice cream, caramel sauce
19
AM I BLUE?
Lemon sorbet, fresh blueberries or blueberry sauce, in a chocolate cup
20
WE'RE IN THE MONEY
Ice cream, chocolate coins
21
TIRAMISU
Coffee ice cream, ladyfingers, shaved chocolate
22
CIRCUS CITY
Your choice of ice cream, chopped peanuts, mini marshmallows, caramel sauce, with a parade of animal crackers.
23
HAPPY TRAILS
Trail mix over choice of ice cream
24
BAKLAVA BITES
Stir cinnamon to taste into softened vanilla ice cream, drizzle of honey, chopped pistachios, in purchased phyllo cups
25
TWIST AND SHOUT
Chocolate ice cream, mini pretzels, caramel sauce
26
BANANAS FOSTER
Bananas sauteed in butter, sprinkled with brown sugar and a splash of rum, over vanilla ice cream
27
NOT-SO-PLAIN VANILLA
Vanilla bean ice cream sprinkled with vanilla sugar
28
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
Strawberry ice cream, sliced fresh strawberries, shortbread cookies, whipped cream
29
CHERRY BLOSSOM
Vanilla or chocolate ice cream, brandied cherries, a crystallized violet, in a puff-pastry shell
30
FRECKLE FACE
Favorite ice cream or sherbet sprinkled with mini chocolate chips
31
SOUTH OF THE BORDER
Dulce de leche ice cream, hot-fudge sauce flavored with cinnamon, toasted slivered almonds
---

(FACTIVA)
METRO
MAGIC MOMENT HARRY POTTER CASTS SPELL LOCALLY
Lisa M. Lohr
Staff Writer
435 words
The Augusta Chronicle
ALL
B01
English
(Copyright 2000)

The Chamber of Secrets, The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Sorcerer's Stone - and the greatly anticipated Goblet of Fire are all adventures of a boy wizard named Harry Potter.
They are also the coveted summer reading for children and parents alike.
The newest adventure by author J.K. Rowling kept children up late, waiting in line at local bookstores, which released the book at midnight Friday.
Borders Books Music & Cafe, like other booksellers, made the event a party. There was dirt cake (with worms), a bubbling cauldron of Butter Beer (root beer with caramel) and costumes of the famous characters in the series.
(FACTIVA)
Connecticut Weekly Desk; SECT14CN
A Midnight Spell That's 896 Pages Long
By GARY SANTANIELLO
1,146 words
The New York Times
Late Edition - Final
6
English
(c) 2003 New York Times Company

FOR young readers like 11-year-old Rachel Bowman of Fairfield, Friday is a day she has anticipated for a long time.
''I can't wait,'' she said. ''I've been waiting for this for, like, two years.''
The subject she eagerly calls her ''obsession'' is Harry Potter.
The long-awaited release of the fifth book in J.K. Rowling's series about a precocious boy at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, ''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,'' has many like Rachel in a state of gleeful agitation.
''I think I'll be too excited to read it,'' she said.
Booksellers across Connecticut are equally energized, not only because it's a major publishing event -- the first four Harry Potter books sold more than 192 million copies worldwide -- but because they've planned a host of festivities to coincide with the book's stage-managed release at the stroke of midnight. List price for the 896-page book, published by Scholastic Inc., is $29.99.
For Mark Mondani, 11, of Cheshire, who said has read each of the previous books at least 13 times, ''The suspense is a lot worse than waiting for Christmas, because I have no clue what the book's going to be about, no clue what's going to happen,'' he said.
At R.J. Julia Booksellers in Madison, there will be costumes, Hogwarts-themed refreshments, a live owl, courtesy of the Connecticut Audubon Society, and winners of a writing contest started two months ago to make up the most original chapter for the next book in the series will be announced.
''There's so much anticipation because so little is known about what the book's about,'' said Beth Brdlik, manager of the children's department. ''When the fourth book was released, a lot of kids now weren't old enough for the books then, but now they're jumping up and down at the counter when talking about the book.''
Jenny Lawton, the owner of Just Books in Greenwich and Just Books Too, a larger store in Old Greenwich that will play host to her ''Harry Potter Party,'' said she enlisted the help of children in planning her festivities, which will run from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
''I've been meeting with a group of kids every month, getting ideas from them on what they'd like to see,'' she said. ''They gave me some of the ideas for food, like butter beer, and it was their idea for a costume party.''
Butter beer, for the wizardry-impaired, tastes similar to root beer with some melted butter mixed in.
(FACTIVA)
LOCAL
HAMPTON ROADS BRIEFS
546 words
The Virginian-Pilot & The Ledger-Star
FINAL
B2
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

Portsmouth: Bookstore
to host a Harry Potter
release party tonight
Broad Street Books, 357 Broad St., will host a Harry Potter Celebration tonight in anticipation of the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" release.
Several activities will take place from 9 p.m. to midnight. Through 11 p.m., guests can help construct a giant replica of Hogwart's Castle and join in a Harry Potter trivia contest in which the winner will be the first to get the new book.
Through 10:45 p.m., there will be wand and hat decorating and face painting. Through 10:30 p.m., guests can sort hats to find out which house they belong in and make banners for it.
There will be a public reading of the last chapter of the last Potter installment at 11 p.m., followed by a countdown to the midnight release of the new book.
Non-alcoholic butter beer, which is made like a root beer float, will be available in a collectible plastic cup for $1. Guests also will get a free coupon for treats such as pepper imps, licorice wands, every flavor beans and blood lollipops. Chocolate wands will be on sale.
(FACTIVA)
NEWS
Where you can eat high on the Hogwarts
Jill Jedlowski Daily Herald Staff Writer
1,010 words
Chicago Daily Herald
DuPage
7
English
Copyright (c) 2005 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

Mothers, take your aspirin.
Dentists, avert your eyes.
A collective sugar high is imminent in the form of butter beer.
The beverage, popularized in the Harry Potter books, may sound unholy to adult brew lovers. But for kids, it's heaven in a glass - a sugary drink made even sweeter.
Several downtown Naperville restaurants will serve some form of the syrupy concoction this weekend as part of special menus arranged for "Muggle Magic," which begins at noon today.
Recipes vary, but at Arbor Vitae Java & Juice, the drink will consist of root beer, Ghirardelli caramel and whipped cream.
"We came up with it because that's what we do. We're always mixing and blending," said owner Theresa Pryor. "It's definitely sweet."
At Jimmy's Grill and Brickhouse Pizzeria, the staff was still striving Thursday to nail the perfect blend of ginger ale and butterscotch.
"It's just super sweet," said owner Jim Bergeron. "It's so sugary, it makes your cheeks hurt."
Butter beer aside, his eateries will offer other drinks, including "bat juice" (cherry or orange juice) and "Potter water" (very cherry soda) to keep kids quenched. For bigger muggles, there are alcoholic varieties, such as "dragon's drool" (electric lemonade).
The entire Potter-ized menus include offerings from cauldron cakes to dragon eggs to a Hagrid burger.
"This is just going to be a gas," said Bergeron, an admitted Potter junkie who's read the first five books. "It's such an obvious, good promotion. We'd just be totally remiss in letting this one pass."
Other restaurants that plan to be put under the Potter spell include Egg Harbor Cafe, Jefferson Hill Tea Room, Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, Promenade Cafe, Quigley's Irish Pub, Red Door Tavern, Sullivan's Steak House and Sushi House.
Eerie, eek-inducing eats aren't just for muggles, either.
At Two Bostons pet boutique and bakery, four-legged visitors can chow on treats like "chocolate frogs" - canine-friendly cookies dipped in carob.
"I think that's going to be a big hit," said owner AdreAnne Tesene. "Right away, we just loved the idea and thought about how much fun we could have with it."