"p ússa" in Icelandic

Martin, Katherine katherine.martin at OUP.COM
Wed Aug 24 12:43:18 UTC 2005

FWIW, the usual modern Icelandic word for the female pudendum is píka
(more specifically vagina). The word for vulva is sköp. Neither I nor
my Icelandic husband has ever heard the word pússa. He thought it
sounded foreign, maybe Danish. The citations files for Orðabók
Háskólans, the Icelandic historical lexicography project, show only
one example for pússa, from an 1844 letter:

"Pater ertu ok princeps feiti, / procossul ertu svarta pússa."

This is in some strange Latin-Icelandic hybrid, and all I can
diefinitively say about the pússa in question is that it is black. Any
Icelander at that time who wrote Latin probably studied in Denmark, so
the Danish word mentioned in previous posts seems the likely source
here.

Katherine