"Chop Suey" invented today in 1896; it's on NY1; WAMO has a point

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 29 17:43:07 UTC 2005

WAMO HAS A POINT
I spent the weekend (my girldfriend's birthday) in Washington, DC, at her request. We were told that the Washington Momument is nicknamed WAMO (whamo). It's also been called "the only thing in Washington that has a point." Don't know if Fred can use that.
CHOP SUEY
NY1 is the all news New York City cable channel. I've been watching it for political stuff, although that's boring (even for me) to hear some of these people talk.
Today, its NY History Minute tells you that "chop suey" was invented in 1896. So, as I've been doing on these sort of things for fifteen years now, I wrote in, and of course they will correct it right away...
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/OnTheAir/day_in_history.jsp
August 29th, 2005

August 29, 2005

On this date in...

1776...George Washington and his troops are on the run, fleeing to Manhattan after their defeat by the British in the battle of Long Island.

1896...Chop Suey is invented at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel by the chef of the visiting Chinese ambassador.