FWIW: Two "hot dog" articles this week

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 31 02:00:19 UTC 2005

Two "hot dog" articles, for what they're worth.

_http://www.madison.com/tct/features/index.php?ntid=52252&ntpid=1_
(http://www.madison.com/tct/features/index.php?ntid=52252&ntpid=1)

Frank talk about hot dogs

By Marialisa Calta
Newspaper Enterprise Association
August 30, 2005
You may think of a hot dog as something to grill for your  end-of-summer
Labor Day barbecue, but Professor Gerald Cohen of the University  of
Missouri-Rolla thinks of it as something of an etymological hot potato.
That's because the origin of the phrase has been much clouded by myth that
Cohen, led by fellow researcher Barry Popik and aided by the late David
Shulman,  has at last been put to rest in "The Origins of the Phrase 'Hot Dog' "
(2004), a  limited edition, 293-page tome of linguistic detective work.
This may seem like a lot of pages devoted to a single slang phrase. But to
Cohen, who wrote two books on the origin of the term "shyster" and whose heroes
 include the late Allen Walker Reed, who spent some part of 50 years
researching  the colloquialism "OK," that's what it took to get the job done.
Many culinary dictionaries say that the Frankfurter sausage was given the
name "hot dog" by T.A. "Tad" Dorgan, a sports cartoonist in New York City in the
 early 1900s. Legend has it that Dorgan drew a cartoon of dachshund-shaped
sausages with legs being sold at the Polo Grounds. Stumped by the spelling of
the word "Dachshund," it is said, Dorgan simply labeled the cartoon "hot
dogs."
Although Dorgan did draw a similar cartoon several years later, using a
bicycle race at Madison Square Garden as a backdrop, the "Polo Grounds hot dog
cartoon" has never surfaced, becoming a sort of Holy Grail for the Dorgan
faction of etymologists.
"The reason it has never surfaced -- are you sitting down? -- is because it
doesn't exist," says Cohen, who has offered a $200 reward for the cartoon.
As it turns out, the origin of the phrase is a bit darker, and a lot more
tasteless.
"What group often combines a keen sense of humor with bad taste?" Cohen asks.
 "College students."
In the 19th century, dog meat did actually turn up in sausages. Popik,
Cohen's colleague (and a man who has done groundbreaking research on "Big Apple"
and "Windy City," among other phrases) discovered it was a group of 1894 or
1895  Yale students who started applying the phrase "hot dog" to sausage.
Concerns about the contents of hot dogs have abounded ever since, most
currently focused on the amount of fat, salt and nitrites in many brands. But  none
of it seems to hamper sales. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council
(_www.hot-dog.org_ (http://www.hot-dog.org/) ), says Americans eat  about 2 billion
pounds of hot dogs every year (stats on sausages, which are  often sold in
non-standard packages, are harder to come by; but sales are  increasing). The
biggest season for the hot dog runs from July 4 through Labor  Day.
Even the "nutrition police" among us would not try to deny folks their hot
dogs, especially not with a big holiday weekend coming up. Janice Newell Bissex
 and Liz Weiss, nutritionists and authors of "The Mom's Guide to Meal
Makeovers"  (Broadway Books, 2004) advise that you "err on the side of caution" and
seek out  nitrite-free brands.
Elizabeth Karmel, author of "Taming the Flame" (Wiley Publishing, 2005),
gives basic instructions for grilling hot dogs, knackwurst (all-beef sausages,
slightly more substantial than hot dogs), and other sausages. The following
recipes are all from "Taming the Flame: Secrets for Hot-and-Quick Grilling and
Low-and-Slow BBQ" by Elizabeth Karmel (Wiley Publishing, 2005).

_http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0535,lalli1,67223,15.html_
(http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0535,lalli1,67223,15.html)
Bites
Dog Run
The great regional frankfurters, in NYC
by Nina Lalli
August  25th, 2005 5:22 PM
In these last summer days, let's  take a moment to celebrate the great hot
dog, a lovably humble food, in its  many, many forms. Almost everywhere you go,
dogs are prepared strictly according  to a local style.
Before a recent vacation to Maine, I received a slew of tips on favorite
lobster shacks and where to get the best steamers and clam rolls. But to my
surprise, the advice most passionately and repeatedly pressed upon me was not to
miss a shack called _Flo's_ (http://www.floshot%20dogs.com/) , which
specializes in hot dogs.
When a shellfish timeout was imperative, I remembered the urgent looks in the
 eyes of people who had been there and their desperate imploring: "You must
get  the special!" We ignored the suggestion of our lovely innkeeper, also a
cop, for  the fancy places in town. This was instinctive—if I wanted wasabi
foam, I'd have  eaten it in New York, most likely years ago. On the coast of
Maine, I was eager  for regional fare. I always want whatever is inside a roadside
shack.
Flo's has been in place since 1959, and is only open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A
 line stretched out the door when I arrived. Everyone seemed giddy, hopped up
on  hot dog anticipation. Their eyes were wide and some seemed to be
practicing  their orders—their lips moved as they crept forward. Eventually, Gail
Stacy (who  one thinks of as "Flo," though in fact the real Flo was her
mother-in-law),  called out from behind the counter, "Can I have two more come inside?"
I stepped in, and closed the screen door behind me, in the face of a burly
guy who had brought his son. The line was an orderly, squished "U," and the men
 stooped so as not to bump their heads on the ceiling. "Flo" immediately
asked  how many dogs we wanted, and later, how we wanted them. Dutifully, we
requested  the special, which is slathered in her legendary relish, a thin squirt
of  mayonnaise, and a sprinkle of celery salt.
Like everyone else, we wound up purchasing a few jars of the relish, which,
at $7.95, proves Flo is no fool. When one woman ordered just a hot dog, the
proprietress launched into a friendly but persuasive sales pitch about the
relish. "Some people call it Flo's sauce, some call it Flo's relish, and some
people just call it sauce," she said. Meanwhile, the sign above her head
advertised Flo's famous "hot sauce." She asked the customer whether she was  aware
that you could use the sauce on hamburgers as well as hot dogs, and that  it
made a great marinade? "You could even put it on fish!" The woman added one  jar
to her order, and Flo went back to her steamed buns and scrawled list of
orders. She was the only employee there.
We took our dogs outside and experienced the cult of Flo's. The relish is
dark, sweet and sour, and reminiscent of French onion soup or English-style
relish, but with salty anchovies and tamarind in the background. The hot dog
itself was superior, and the steamed bun loyally stuck to its sides like a slice
of wonder bread sticks to the roof of a kid's mouth. The mayonnaise goo-ed it
 all together and made it just sick enough to inspire fanaticism. Flo's motto
is:  "Secrets locked inside."