Inner Prescriptivism

Sun Dec 4 16:41:47 UTC 2005

Some of these are things that were drummed into us by our pre-college
teachers, and some seem to me to be matters of changes taking place in the language.
For example, my internal grammar makes a strong may/might distinction, but I
have no memory of having been formally taught the difference. Yet this seems to
be something that is increasingly disappearing among younger folk. This also
curdles my mental milk, despite my descriptivist allegiances.

On the other hand, I remember being taught that COUPON has no [j] after the
initial [k], and (most especially) that just because a personal pronoun occurs
after the conjunction AND, that should not automatically trigger the objective
case. Even so, I hear many of my colleagues--English professors in a
Department that fancies itself one of the premier Departments in the world--who say
things like, "Just between you and I." This also curdles my mental milk,
bigtime.

Then there is ENDIVE, which always triggers some hesitation. This was not a
word that I learned until I was 30, and to this day I cannot remember what the
dictionaries say about it. My rule here is, "When in doubt, Anglicize."

COUPON, on the other hand, doesn't trouble me any more than the two
pronunciations of ECONOMICS or the three pronunciations of ENVELOPE.