"Tom Swifties" (Was Re: Prescriptivism)

Patti Kurtz tb5fab at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 4 23:10:56 UTC 2005

And from the same site, here's why they're called "Tom Swifties":

the quip takes its name from **Tom Swift**, a boy's adventure hero created
by the prolific American writer Edward L. Stratemeyer. Under the
pseudonym Victor Appleton, he published a series of books featuring the
young Tom Swift. Tom Swift rarely passed a remark without a qualifying
adverb as "Tom added eagerly" or "Tom said jokingly". The play on words
discussed here arose as a pastiche of this, coming to be known by the
term **Tom Swifty**.

Patti Kurtz