claymation

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue Dec 6 19:06:06 UTC 2005

What were the Rudolph and Little Drummer Boy movies from the 1960s?  Were they the same thing as claymation? IF so, what were they called tehn? I remember having some sort of descriptive term for them, but don't really remember whether it was 'claymation.'  WHen I started hearing that term, it just seemed so familiar.
Fritz

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:40:27PM -0500, Alice Faber wrote:
>
>>Bethany K. Dumas wrote:
>>
>>>I saw my first claymation movie this morning. Since then I have found it
>>>all over the web - it appears to be a registered mark, though the term is
>>>widely used in a generic sense, it seems.
>>>

>>It's got to be at least 20 years old, going back to the California
>>Raisins commercial in the mid 80s.
>

> It doesn't _have_ to--just because they used the technique doesn't
> mean the term existed then.

Oh, OK...I was imprecise. I remember seeing the term in press coverage
of those commercials.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963