F*** with = have sex with?

Mon Dec 12 20:24:23 UTC 2005

Wonderful examples, thank you, Jesse!

They all look like careless slips to me, probably based on analogy to the
idiom "to have sex with" and the fact that the semantically different idiom
"to fuck with" exists. Still, though, the 1983 and 2004 examples do not look
as bad as the others.

My comment about whether "fuck with" is an idiom is simply that I wondered
whether "fuck with" has another idiomatic meaning, for example, date, which
would have fit the context of "Gold Digger".

A few people (LH, BL, WG) have mentioned meter in the song being the reason
for slipping in "with", but I think there is plenty of room to rearrange
words and still fit it in the meter. I think this is a careless mistake that
just got by.

"From what I heard she got a baby by Busta
My best friend say she use to fuck with Usher I dont care what none of y'all
say I still love her"

For example, "she use to fuck with" -> "she always fucking" or "she use to
do it with". I think if someone had noticed this that Kayne could have fixed
it better than me.

I wonder if we'll be seeing this as an example of grammar corruption in the
newspaper grammar columns...

* * * * *
Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place