"Vanity rates" (Lawyer charges $1,000 an hour)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 13 19:18:41 UTC 2005

I charge a vanity rate of a nickel on all my work, not that I'd get that,
but it would almost pay for copies...
_http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/59524.htm_
(http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/59524.htm)
December 13, 2005 -- In the era  of the $10-plus movie ticket and $3,000-a-
month studio apartment, it was  inevitable: A top-notch lawyer is charging
$1,000 an hour.
Benjamin Civiletti, who served as attorney general under President Jimmy
Carter, is the first lawyer known to reach the four-digit hourly rate, the
National Law Journal reported yesterday.
(...)
The big-bucks rates may be a bit deceptive because many large firms offer
discounts and relatively few clients pay the top rate.
"We call them vanity rates, the rates that firms like to show off like a new
car or a trophy wife," Toothman said.
"It's almost a marketing tool these days."