"What do we want?/Contract!/When do we want it?/Now!" (1964)

Wed Dec 21 04:01:20 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> The Washington Post, Times Herald
> (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Feb 27, 1964. p. A1 (2 pages) :
> Pg. A4:
> When the students couldn't get in, they started chanting in front of the
> establishment. "What do we want?" a girl asked in a loud voice. "Freedom," came
> the chorused reply from the student with her. "When do we want it?" the girl
> asked. "Now," the students roared back.

http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=309&VName=HNP&did=96234103
New York Times, July 10, 1963, p. 24/2
[CORE rally picketing White Castle restaurant]
The pickets used a question-and-reply theme in their loud chanting and singing:
"What do we want?" a picket soloist chanted.
"Freedom!" the picket chorus answered.
"When do we want it?" he then asked.
"Now!" the chorus shouted.

--Ben Zimmer